Ageless Radiance Cassava Cereal
Cassava is a calorie-rich vegetable tuber that contains plenty of healthy carbohydrate and key vitamins and minerals. Cassava is a good source of vitamin C, and B vitamins such as thiamine, riboflavin, and niacin. The leaves, which are also edible can contain up to 25 percent protein. The leaves can be cooked fresh or dried.
Garri is very popular in West Africa. Cassava is a tuber like yams, cocoyams, sweet potatoes that are rich in healthy minerals and carbs. Fermenting takes the nutritional profile a notch further. The roots and leaves of the plant are edible. Cassava leaves stew is also a West African delicacy.
Peel, wash and grate the cassava. Then ferment and pan fry or roast with palm oil to make red garri. Or without palm oil to yield white garri.
Fermented cassava cereal or drinking Garri mixes well with other ingredients. Such as milk, honey, avocados, chia seeds, nuts like almonds and cashews. Such that the sour taste is a pleasant sweet and sour delight for your taste buds.
HOW TO MAKE ‘DRINKING GARRI / SOAKED GARRI’
Like traditional cereal, it’s super easy to make. The cassava will absorb the milk and rise like rice does when you cook it so be mindful of that fact.
The ice cubes keeps your mild cool to reduce the rate of absorption and leaves your garri a little more crunchy.
I prefer crunchy runny garri so I might use a little more milk than most. That is the same way I like my cereal. I’m done with cereal once it’s soft and mushy. If you like soft garri, leave the ice cubes out.
- 1/4 cup garri
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- A handful almonds (cashews, pistachios, walnuts are great as well or mix all)
- 1 avocado
- Honey to taste
- 1/2 cup of almond milk, goat milk or grass milk
- A few ice cubes
Firstly, put the Garri, nuts and chia seeds in a bowl. Next add ice if using; milk, honey and stir. Taste and finally add in avocado slices and enjoy.
Chia seeds, nuts and avocado pack a nutritional punch individually and together…well. Suffice it to say this will fill you up, give you all the energy and vitamins you need to stay gone all day.
- Chia seeds are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, antioxidants, iron, and calcium.
- A 28-gram, or 1-ounce, serving of chia seeds also contains 5.6 grams of protein.
- Mixed with water, they can replace egg in vegan cooking.
- Chia seeds can be eaten cooked or raw, but they should be added to another food or soaked before eating.
Benefits of Avocado
- Avocado Is Incredibly Nutritious.
- They Contain More Potassium Than Bananas. …
- Avocado Is Loaded With Heart-Healthy Monounsaturated Fatty Acids.
- Avocados Are Loaded With Fiber.
- Eating Avocados Can Lower Cholesterol and Triglyceride Levels.
The cassava you find locally in stores here have been freeze dried so do not ferment well.
I have tried to make garri with them but the results so far have been less than satisfactory although edible. I have to add baking soda to the cassava or yuca as they label it here to get it to ferment.
You can order garri in online stores that sell African ingredients. If you live in a big city, international food markets will have garri or Asian produce stores.