Mbongo: Healing Black Stew
In Cameroonian cuisine, herbs and spices add flavor, color and fragrance to dishes. As well as antioxidants and specific secondary metabolites such as flavonoids, phenolic compounds, alkaloids, tannins, terpenoids, saponins.
Some spices also possess cardiac glycosides that have healing potential for medicinal and therapeutic purposes.
Antioxidants protects the body from free radicals and reduces the progress of many chronic diseases as well as lipid oxidative rancidity in foods.
Moreover, antioxidants also protects against free radical damage that causes many diseases including cancer. They even fight against oxidative stress mediating diseases such as cardiovascular disease and cancer.
- 2lbs of Chicken (for Mbongo Tchobi use fish instead) Boiled with salt to taste
- 2 tsp Mbongo bark (Hiomi/Homi lightly roasted and ground to a fine powder
- 1tsp Prekese (Sese, Esese, Tetrapleura tetraptera, 4 sides, 4 côtés)
- 1 tsp country onion (bush onion, rondelles, afrostyrax lepidophylus, fenombom) roasted, grated and finely ground
- 2 seeds African Nutmeg (Pebe, Ehuru, Monodora Myristica) roasted and finely ground
- 30 Njangsa fruit (Ricinodendron heudelotii) lightly toasted and ground
- 7 peeled garlic cloves and
- A hand full of dry or fresh basil leaves (or more if you love basil like I do)
- 1 large onion,
- 2 large tomatoes,
- 1/2″ peeled ginger,
- 2 green onions,
- 1 chopped leek as well as
- 1stalk chopped celery
- 1/4 tsp each of ground Penja white pepper and penja black pepper (xylopia aethiopica)
- 1/4tsp alligator pepper (Aframomum citratum, can substitute with cardamom)
- 1/4 tsp Grains of paradise (Aframomum melegueta, Guinea pepper, Guinea grains)
- 2 Habanero peppers (optional, adds heat)
- 1cup peanut oil (sesame or safflower oils are great too)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1clove and a
- spice mortar pestle and blender
Firstly, blend all the ingredients to a paste except half onion and habanero with half a cup of the cooked chicken stock.
- Next pour it over the chicken.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pot and saute the chopped half of the remaining onion until fragrant.
- Now add the chicken and spice mixture, salt to taste and habanero if using.
- Cover and cook for about 20mins. Then taste it and add water to your desired consistency and
- Finally, cook for another 10 mins and serve hot with boiled yams or ripe plantains.